I Missed The PSAT – Can I Make It Up?

The answer to that question is yes, you absolutely can! We know, the test is still a week away, but anything might come up on the morning of the test. Better to know your options beforehand rather than freak out. Many people don’t realize that if they miss the PSAT due to illness, emergency, or other extenuating circumstances, they still have a chance to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship.

The National Merit Scholarship is a highly prestigious $2,500 scholarship prize given to 2,500 students around the US every year. The PSAT (also known as the NMSQT — National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) is used as the preliminary decider in who qualifies for the test. If a junior in high school takes the PSAT and scores above the cutoff score for his or her state, he or she has a chance to receive the scholarship. Even being a semifinalist or finalist can open doors in terms of other scholarships and college admissions.

Because of the importance of the exam, it’s important for parents and students to know what their options are if they miss the test. According to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation’s (NMSC) website:

“The student or a school official must write to NMSC as soon as possible after the PSAT/NMSQT administration to request information about procedures for entry to NMSC competitions by alternate testing. The earlier NMSC receives the written request, the greater the student’s opportunities for meeting alternate entry requirements. To be considered, a request must be postmarked no later than March 1 following the PSAT/NMSQT administration that was missed. NMSC will provide alternate entry materials including an entry form that requires the signature of a school official.”

Generally speaking, the “alternate testing” is simply using an exam score from an SAT in place of the PSAT.

The PSAT is often overlooked by both parents and students — a huge mistake. Its value is irrefutable, and any high school junior who missed the exam would be wise to immediately inquire with school counselors and NMSC officials to coordinate alternate testing.

You Might Also Like

READ  AP vs. IB vs. Dual Enrollment: Which curriculum should I take in high school?


  1. My son missed the psat at his school. How can he make it up? I realize that March 1 is already this Sunday. Will he be able to do the request online? Please let me know asap.

    1. Coreen,

      You should contact the National Merit Scholarship Corporation right away! They will be able to provide you specifics about your options and eligibility to makeup the PSAT. Their phone number is: (847) 866-5100.

      Hope this helps!

  2. My psat test was today but I couldn’t make it because my mom was sick and I couldn’t get a ride to school. How do I make it up

  3. Hi, Between my husband and I we missed enrolling our son in PSAT thats taking place in October. Can u pls suggest/help on getting an exam enrolment. My son has been diligently preparing for it and do not want him to get disappointed.

    1. Sailaja,

      The best thing to do is contact College Board directly. In exceptional circumstances, College Board will allow students to take the SAT in place of the PSAT for the purpose of the National Merit Scholarship Competition. As the PSAT and SAT are virtually identical to one another, if he has been preparing for the PSAT then he should do fine on the SAT. You should contact College Board. Their phone number is: (847) 866-5100.

      Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *